Friday, March 16, 2012

strawberry*banana*spinach smoothie

There are days I don't have time to eat breakfast. Our day starts just before 7am....I get my two boys up and to the breakfast table rushing my oldest through breakfast, getting dressed, teeth brushed and snow gear on before his bus is at our front door at 7:30 am. Once he's out the door I run my errands and keep the little guy occupied. Before I know it, it's 11 and I can finally catch a second and then I realize I am starved.

I didn't follow the green smoothie trend at first because honestly I hate the taste of spinach and most greens. I love a good romaine salad but couldn't imagine that taste of other greens in my smoothie. I started following a few weight loss blogs and loved the results they were seeing. One thing most of them had in common was that they all eat breakfast and some of them use these "green smoothies" as breakfast or lunch. About a month ago when I really started focusing on my calorie intake I decided I'd try it....my first try failed! Grapefruit and spinach do not mix well! But I didn't give up....I tried again....and this my friends is where my love of green smoothies was born. I'd say 5 mornings a week I start my day with a cold glass of water and a large green smoothie! I will throw all of the ingredients into a blender, blend away and be sipping away before my kids are even to the table.

What I love about this recipe is it's easy, versatile and filling. I have found that ingredients can easily be substituted and the general taste and texture will remain similar if not the same. I have substituted kale for the spinach...although it's not my favorite, it still had an okay taste and I was able to drink it....next time I would add a packet of truvia and a few more strawberries....I would also add a squeeze of lemon juice. Other than that substitute away....try different berries, add mango, try flavored yogurt, use juice or milk instead of water....how about coconut milk?

Strawberry Banana Spinach Smoothie

1 1/2 cups frozen strawberries (about 8 berries)
1 banana (fresh or frozen, doesn't matter)
2 cups fresh spinach (I have used frozen spinach and it worked as well!)
1-2 cups liquid (I use water, but sometimes use slender soy or coconut milk)
1/2 cup yogurt (greek yogurt is my favorite...vanilla. I also use Dannon light and fit)
1 scoop whey protein, optional (I only use if it's on hand, I use Jillian Michaels Whey Protein Vanilla Shake              Powder...it's only 100 calories and 15g of protein!!!)

Blend away. I add more or less water depending on the consistency. I like to sip on my smoothie for a couple of hours....this does make 4 cups totaling about 350 calories depending on the yogurt you use and the liquid you use. If I am having this as a meal I will drink the whole thing over a couple of hours, if it's a snack I portion it out into thirds.

No comments:

Post a Comment